Cellular and Molecular Immunology
The immune system is continually confronted with foreign invaders. Whether these invaders are bacteria, viruses or our own cells that no longer behave properly, the immune system is tasked with distinguishing between our healthy cells (self) and these invaders (non-self). The inability to distinguish between self and non-self can lead to tolerance, which is the lack of recognition of foreign invaders by the immune system, or autoimmunity, which is the recognition by the immune system of healthy cells as foreign, or to tolerance, which is the lack of recognition of foreign invaders by the immune system.
Our team is studying the immunological mechanisms that regulate the fine balance between immunity and tolerance. Our aim is to understand how the activation of dendritic cells (the main sentinels of the immune system) and regulatory T lymphocytes (the main regulator/suppressors of the immune response) can lead to protective immunity or to different pathologies such as autoimmune diseases and cancer. We hope to translate the mechanisms discovered in mouse models to improve human health. Our research covers several major areas of immunology, as organ transplantation, autoimmunity, immunosurveillance and cancer and immunity and tolerance in the gut.
Research Head: Mario Rosemblatt
Postdoctoral Fellows: Nicole Halçartegaray • Gabriela Tejón
Doctoral students: Cristian Doñas
• Dr. María Rosa Bono and Dr. Daniela Sauma: Laboratorio de Inmunología , Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Chile
• Dr. Alberto Fierro: Clínica Las Condes
• Dr. Ana María Lennon: Institute Curie, Paris, France.
- Tejón G., Manríquez V., De Calisto J., Flores F., Hidalgo Y., Crisóstomo N., Fernández D., Sauma D., Bono M. R., Rosemblatt M. Vitamin A impairs the reprogramming of Treg into IL-17-producing cells during intestinal inflammation. Biomed. Res. International. 2015, 1-8 (2015) | PDF | ABSTRACT
- Moore C., Tejón G., Fuentes C., Hidalgo Y., Bono M. R., Maldonado P., Fernández R., Wood K., Fierro J. A., Rosemblatt M., Sauma D., Bushell A. Alloreactive regulatory T cells generated with retinoic acid prevent skin allograft rejection. Eur. J. Immunol. 45, 452-463 (2015) | PDF | ABSTRACT
- Doñas C., Fritz M., Manríquez V., Tejón G., Bono M. R., Loyola A., Rosemblatt M. Trichostatin A promotes the differentiation and suppressive functions of regulatory T cells. Clin. Dev. Immunol 2013, 679804 (2013) | PDF | ABSTRACT
- Moore C., Fuentes C., Sauma D., Morales J., Bono M. R., Rosemblatt M. and Fierro J. A. Retinoic acid generates regulatory T cells in experimental transplantation. Transplant. Proc. 43 (6): 2334-2337 (2011) | PDF | ABSTRACT
- Sauma D., Espejo P., Ramirez A., Fierro A., Rosemblatt M. and Bono M. R. Differential regulation of Notch ligands in dendritic cells upon interaction with T helper cells. Scand. J. Immunol. 74, 62-70 (2011) | PDF | ABSTRACT
- Villablanca E. J., Wang S., De Calisto J., Gomes D. C. O., Kane M. A., Napoli J. L., Blaner W. S., Kagechika H., Blomhoff R., Rosemblatt M., Bono M. R., Von Andrian U. H. and Mora J. R. MyD88 and retinoic acid signaling pathways interact to modulate gastrointestinal activities of Dendritic cells. Gastroenterology 141, 176-185 (2011) | PDF | ABSTRACT
- Jorgensen T. N., Alfaro J., Enriquez H. L., Jiang C., Loo W. M., Atencio S., Bupp M. R., Mailloux C. M., Metzger T., Flannery S., Rozzo S. J., Kotzin B. L., Rosemblatt M., Bono M. R. and Erickson L. D. Development of murine lupus involves the combined genetic contribution of the SLAM and FcyR intervals within the Nba2 autoimmune susceptibility locus. The J. Immunol. 15, 775-786 (2010) | PDF | ABSTRACT
- Elgueta R., Sepúlveda F. E., Vilches F., Vargas L., Mora J. R., Bono M. R. and Rosemblatt M. Imprinting of CCR9 on CD4 T cells requires IL-4 signalling on mesenteric lymph node dendritic cells. J. Immunol. 180, 6501-6507 (2008) | PDF | ABSTRACT
- Wilhelm V., Miquel A., Burzio L. O., Rosemblatt M., Engel E., Valenzuela S, Parada G. and Valenzuela P. D. T. A vaccine against the salmonid pathogen Piscirickettsia salmonis based on recombinant proteins. Vaccine 24 (23): 5083-5091 (2006) | PDF | ABSTRACT
- Mora J. R., Bono M. R., Manjunath N., Weninger W., Cavanagh L. L., Rosemblatt M. and Von Andrian U. H. Selective imprinting of gut-homing T cells by Peyer’s patch dendritic cells. Nature 424, 88-93 (2003) | PDF | ABSTRACT